This is the best chicken leg quarters you have been looking for. These air fryer chicken leg quarters are made with simple everyday ingredients yet taste like something from your favorite takeout.
The chicken is tender, juicy, and flavor chicken with crispy skin, thanks to the air fryer. You will love this recipe. Let me show you how to make it in under 30 minutes.
Why you will love this recipe
- Easy chicken dinner the whole family will enjoy. You get the best of both worlds with this recipe. If you love chicken drumsticks and thighs, this is the perfect combination you need. Even your pickiest eater wouldn't be able to resist this.
- Quick and easy: No marinating needed, minimal prep, and just a few simple ingredients. You are set for dinner. All that is left is to serve the chicken with your favorite side dish. There are many ways to cook this dark-meat of the chicken. However, using the air fryer is the quickest way to cook chicken quarters. In 30 minutes and, you get perfectly cooked meat, you would be happy to be happy again and again.
- Budget-friendly: You will be amazed at how pocket-friendly chicken quarters are. Depending on where you chop from, they can be cheaper than buying a pack of chicken thighs.
- Healthy: Air-fried chicken is a much healthier option compared to deep-fried food. There's no need for extra oil or grease; you're left with a tender, juicy meal low in calories and fat.
What are chicken leg quarters
Chicken leg quarters, also known as whole chicken legs or chicken Marylands, is a cut of chicken consisting of drumsticks and thighs. This tender, juicy cut is perfect for an air fryer because it cooks quickly while retaining moisture in the dark meat.
This recipe requires a few everyday ingredients that you probably have in your pantry already:
Lemon pepper seasoning: I used 'great value' lemon pepper seasoning. I like it as it contains additional ingredients I would typically use to season chicken, such as onion and garlic powder. You can use any brand you prefer.
Italian seasoning: substitute with Herbs de Provence or Mixed herbs if you reading from the UK.
Avocado oil: substitute with olive oil or any other neutral cooking oil of your choice
Paprika: I like using smoked paprika, but you can use sweet paprika if that's what you have.
Salt and black pepper
NB: You can add more black pepper to the seasoning mix if you prefer. For a spicy kick, add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the chicken.
How to cook air fryer chicken quarters
Cooking air fryer chicken leg quarters is incredibly easy!
Start by preheating the air fryer to 385F/190C for 5 minutes
Wash the whole chicken leg if you prefer or move on to season it. Pat the chicken dry with a kitchen paper towel and place it in a bowl. Drizzle with avocado oil (and brush all over the chicken), add lemon pepper seasoning, Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt. Rub the seasoning mix all over the chicken until well coated.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and arrange the chicken quarters skin side down in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Air fry the chicken legs for 30 minutes flipping it halfway through the cooking time or until the internal temperature reaches 165F/74C.
Remove the chicken from the air fryer to a plate and rest for 2-5 minutes before you serve it. Enjoy!
How long to cook chicken leg quarters
Cooking times may vary depending on the size of the chicken legs and the power of your air fryer. As a rule of thumb, cook chicken quarters in an air fryer at 385F/190C for about 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F/74C.
What temperature is chicken leg quarters done
Like all chicken dishes, ensure your chicken leg quarters are cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165°F/74C before serving. You can cook it up to an internal temperature of 170°F/76C because of the bones.
Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature. Please insert it into the thickest part of the thigh, away from bones or fat. If needed, cook for 2-3 minutes. That way, the chicken will be fully cooked to the bones.
Can I use BBQ sauce with this
Yes! Season the chicken as described in this recipe, then rub the chicken legs with the bbq sauce 10 minutes before the end of cooking time. Flip the chicken halfway through so that the BBQ sauce doesn't burn.
These air fryer chicken quarters are both filling and delicious. Serve them as part of a meal with your favorite side dishes like roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or quinoa. They also make a great addition to salads and sandwiches.
How to store
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer or oven before serving.
You can freeze the chicken in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More air fryer chicken recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters
- 2.2 lb chicken quarters
- 1 Tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado oil
- ½ Tablespoon paprika smoked or regular
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Start by preheating the air fryer to 385F/190C for 5 minutes
- Wash the whole chicken leg is you prefer or move on to season it. Pat the chicken dry with a kitchen paper towel and place it in a bowl.
- Drizzle with avocado oil (and brush all over the chicken), add lemon pepper seasoning, Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt. Rub the seasoning mix all over the chicken until well coated.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil spray and arrange the chicken quarters skin side down in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry the chicken legs for 30 minutes flipping it halfway through the cooking time or until the internal temperature reaches 165F/74C.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer to a plate and rest for 2-5 minutes before you serve it. Enjoy!
And there you have it, a simple and delicious air fryer recipe you can make at home in 30 minutes. As always, if you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Kindly rate the recipe 5 star and leave me feedback in the comment section below. Tag me @cheapchickenrecipes on Instagram and save it away to your Pinterest or make it on Tiktok. Please subscribe to the blog if you haven’t for free new recipes in your inbox every week.